Pages

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Advent Blog-a-log Day 5 - Christmas Candy

Each year I have these grandiose ideas to make my own christmas candy, then I leave it too late and run out to the shops and buy some very overpriced artificial stuff at the last minute.  Not this year!!

Thanks to the wonders of the internet (and I have been following this lady for so long I no longer remember how I found her in the first place) I have stumbled across The wonderful Hungry Mouse (Jessie).  On a regular basis a delicious recipe finds its way to my Google reader and therefore my to do list.  Well I am doing.  As I type I am in the middle of making her Candied Fruit Peel at the request of R.  I am blanching the peel at the moment and I will report back tomorrow (hopefully with a arty picture if R doesn't eat them all when he gets home).

I have only one recipe that I make regularly for candy at that is my easy Peppermint Creams.  I found this recipe when a friend was pregnant and couldn't have the regular Peppermint Creams as they contain egg white and I have never looked back.  They don't dry out as well as the egg white version but I love them a little squishy.  I won't be making them this year as there is no room in my kitchen (long story) but I look forward to embarking on them next year in my new kitchen in my new house.

Peppermint Creams

450g Pure Icing Sugar
4 Tablespoons Condensed Milk
Peppermint oil to taste
Green Food Colouring (optional, I like to do half and half)

  • Sift icing sugar into a bowl
  • Add condensed milk
  • Mix until smooth and creamy (you may need to add a bit more icing sugar if you have been generous with your tablespoons)
  • Add Peppermint oil (& Green food colouring)
  • Work mixture with hands till flavour and colour are evenly distributed
  • Dust a board (or counter top) with Icing sugar
  • Roll mixture out to approx 0.5cm depth
  • Cut into rounds using a cutter (if you don't have a cutter use a knife and cut into diamonds - this is easier)
  • Leave in a cool dry place to set
  • Once set (this can take upto 24 hours) you can dip them in melted Chocolate for a more decadent experience.
I might also try this recipe from the Brassy Apple if I can find somewhere that sells Orange extract.  A mission for tomorrow I think.  Also this one for Peppermint Bark from Alice at a Savory Sweet Life.

Off to check on my candied peel.
See you tomorrow
Jots Mum

2 comments:

Nic Wood said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm the peppermint creams sound delish! I think I have all the ingredients in the pantry too :)

Nic xxx

Unknown said...

Nic - let us know how you find them. It is a great project for older kids too (I was about 10 the first time we made peppermint creams - the old recipe that is)