Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

{TWENTY TWO}

I had Gestational Diabetes (GD) with both pregnancies and in between I was diagnosed with Impaired Glucose Tolerance (IGT) this is also known as pre-diabetes.  It came as no surprise when I was diagnosed with GD when I was only 10 weeks pregnant with Connor (the test is usually performed at 26 weeks) or that I was on insulin injections from 11 weeks.  It has also raised my chance of getting Type II Diabetes by a lot and R and I are both aware that the diagnosis is in the future.

However, I am not going to let it take me without a fight.  So I have been reading everything I can get my hands on regarding pre diabetes and diabetes.  There has been lots of 'claims' that I am not sure I believe but one that I find interesting is the claim that Type II Diabetes can be reversed.  Now obviously I don't want to it to get that far but if you are reading this and are already diagnosed do yourself some research.  It will involve some changes some drastic but its worth doing.

My most recent reads which are prompting this post are The Sweet Poison Quit Plan by David Gillespie and the I Quit Sugar by Sarah Wilson.  Now there are both believers and critics of the Sweet Poison book but it rings very true with me and since reading it a couple of weeks ago I have been very conscious of my sugar intake and have been reducing it.  I would recommend reading it and making up your own minds.

With some very good timing Sarah Wilson is running a 8 week pre christmas program to help support people who have decided to go sugar free.  You can find more details here.  So I have signed up (without consulting R which I suppose I should do now) and will be starting on 29 October although I have already started to cut back.  

I am committed to the 8 week program to quit sugar and therefore break my addiction.  It will not be easy but it will be worth it.

Wish me luck

No comments: