Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2013

1 of 13 in 13 challenge

I finished the first book for the 13 in 13 Challenge run by Rachel at Little White Dove.  It was even on my list that I posted when I signed up.  Very proud to have started off well.

Little White Dove


I started 'I'm Okay you're a Brat' by Susan Jeffers on about the 3rd Jan and have been reading a little a day ever since.  I really enjoyed this book.

Susan Jeffers wrote 'Feel the Fear and Do it anyway' and was dubbed the 'Queen of Self-Help' by the Times in the UK.  She has books published in over 100 countries and numerous languages.  Unfortunately she passed away in October 2012.

I'm Okay you're a brat is one of her less known titles.  In fact a friend who loves her books had never heard of it.  I stumbled across it in my library while looking for one of her audio cds.  It was written in the late 1990s and has stood the test of time well.



It is a book that will (if you are a parent) have you nodding, laughing and crying within the space of two chapters.  She is fearlessly honest about how difficult parenthood can be and highlights some of the guilt traps that are there just waiting for a parent to fall into (in some case time and time again).  She offers some great survival tips as well.

I have to pass on this great quote (especially for all you soon to be parents)

"If a child-care book makes you feel good, relaxed, and competent as a parent, keep reading.  If a child-care book makes you feel guilty, throw the book in the garbage where it belongs." 
Susan Jeffers

I would recommend this book to anyone who is a parent, about to become a parent or thinking about becoming a parent.  It really tells you everything that no one else will.  The warts and all pictures of parenthood.  Not the sleepless nights (we all know they will come) but all the other changes that accompany a baby, lack of privacy, change in family dynamics, peace of mind and a whole lot more.

There is also a very interesting chapter about why not to have kids.  A bit late for me but still a very good read.

I found this book very interesting and thought provoking as well as so very very true.  Many hundreds of times I would find myself nodding as I read and I no longer felt alone in hating the journey of Parenthood but rather one of a silent crowd.  I wish that I had read this pre children - we would probably still have had them but I would have felt so much more prepared.

Anyway, I really liked this book and have actually bought my own copy for the book shelf as there is lots of information in there I will refer back to in the future.

I have two books now to read next.  I will be reading them at the same time as they are both so chock full of information I will need processing time.

Awaken the Giant within - Tony Robbins
The 7 Habits of Highly effective Families - Stephen Covey

I might squeeze some fiction in to but I find myself gravitating towards these books first as I get so much more than a relaxing time from them.

No comments: