Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Kids Tool Belt Tutorial

When I was trying to decide what to make for my nephews J & O for Birthdays and Christmas (all within 3 months on each other) I got stuck.  J will be 4 and O will be 2.  After a conference call with my sister we decided on tool belts for them, apparently is J has one O HAS to have one to.

It was easy to find a tutorial for a tool belt for O as he will grow out of this one very quickly and I settled on this one from Mauby. I had some cut Very Hungry Caterpillar fabric which I used.  Not too sure how 'boy' it is but I like it anyway.

Now J's belt was harder to find.  I found a number that didn't seem to be quite right so in the end I decided to bite the bullet and design my own so here it is the Kids Tool Belt Tutorial.

This makes a tool belt that will fit an average 4 year old (although I am guessing alittle on that as I don't have an average 4 year old or even and unaverage one).

IMG_7371

Requirements
  • 2 contrasting fabrics (known from here on a Fabric A and Fabric B)
  • 1 set D rings
  • Twill Tape or Ribbon
  • Fray Stop
  • Coordinating Thread
  • Sewing Machine
Note: All measurements are in inches and  include a 1/2 inch seam allowance unless otherwise noted

Cut
  • Fabric A (I used black) - 2 pieces 14 x (8 + width of twill tape) 9.5
  • Fabric B (Spots) - 1 Piece 14 x 10
  • Twill Tape - 1 piece 36 inches
  • Twill Tape - 1 piece 4 inches (Hammer loop)
 IMG_7267
Process
  1. Apply Fray Stop to the ends of both twill tape pieces.
  2. Fold Fabric B in half to measure 14 x 5, Iron and top stitch along fold 
  3. Measure pockets and mark on right side of Fabric B.  Mine measure 4.5, 4, 2.5, 3 from the left edge.IMG_7270
  4. Place Fabric B right side up on to Fabric A1 aligning bottom edge, Pin well         IMG_7271
  5. Sew along marked pocket lines from bottom to top of Fabric B backstitching at the end.
  6. Take Fabric A2 and measure 3/4 inch from the top on the wrong side.  Align the top of your long twill tape here ensuring 5in extend from the left hand side.  Pin and Tack into place.             IMG_7274
  7. Fold small twill piece in half and pin onto Fabric A1 just above the top of the pocket line (right hand side)IMG_7273
  8. Place Fabric A1 & A2 Right sides together (ensure ends of long twill tape are inside the sandwich)IMG_7275 IMG_7276
  9. Sew around edge leaving a 2 in gap on top edge
  10. Trim corners           IMG_7279
  11. Turn
  12. Press
  13. Top Stitch top and bottom of twill tape through fabric   
  14. Top Stitch (1/4 in) around all four sides
  15. Remove tacking from Twill tapeIMG_7287
  16. Thread D Rings onto short end of belt and secureIMG_7368
Now you are finished.
IMG_7371

Here is another one I made with thinner Twill Tape so the measurements for pieces cut from fabric A were 14 x 9

IMG_7308

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and I would love to see any that you make.

You can download the PDF from here

Take care
Jots Mum

P.S Sorry about the spaceing something has gone funny and I can't seem to correct it.

No comments: